Translate

Sunday, December 28, 2014

The Beginning....

Lets start from the beginning: Social Workers do difficult work, often with challenging patients, but they provide much-needed services and can make a real difference in the lives of those they serve. As a Social Worker with an interest in International Mental Health and Substance Abuse I began on a search for organizations providing these services in Nigeria in October 2013. Along my journey and searching I located a company by the name of Synapse Services in Wuse 2, Abuja, Nigeria. 

I began communicating with the CEO/Medical Director, Dr. Vincent Udenze, of Synapse Services about my interest in Nigerian culture and my desire to learn more about the services provided to individuals with mental health and substance abuse issues in Nigeria. Throughout our discussions I learned that individuals with mental health and substance abuse issues in Nigeria do not have a voice, that they are stigmatized, frowned upon and the resources provided to them are extremely limited. This was saddening to hear.

As we continued our communication I built a friendship and working relationship with the CEO/Medical Director, Dr. Vincent Udenze. His passion to help others was contagious. His strong desire to better mental health and substance abuse services in Nigeria and his huge heart helped me with my decision to make the trip to visit Abuja, Nigeria for the very first time. I planned my visit for April 2014 to Wuse 2, Abuja, Nigeria. On my  I planned to tour the facility, meet the patients, provide training for the staff, and provide any assistance needed while in the country.  

I  wanted to be a part of the mission and desired to make a huge impact. I wanted to make changes on an individual and societal level. I want to be a part of the movement, to empower others, make society aware of the issues, and provide services to assist individuals in getting better. I strive to maximize the development of human potential, enable people to achieve the best possible levels of personal and social well-being; and assist them in achieving social justice through social development and social change.  I have a strong desire to help those who are less fortunate and I believe this is what God has lead me to do. I  will continue to make a conscious effort in promoting diversity, advocating, educating, and providing services to those individuals less fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment