Translate

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Media

My last night in Abuja, Nigeria I recorded a segment on NTA International Television with Dr. Vincent Udenze. 

This was a exciting experience, but I will say I was extremely nervous. I had never been on television and I felt as though I was put on the spot. I was scared about what questions they would be asking me. I was fearful that I would not have the answers. 
NTA International Taping in the tv station. Dr. Vincent Udenze and myself


The NTA (Nigeria Television Authority)
After some meditation, prayer and relaxation I went to the taping at 10 pm that Sunday night, nervous, yet open-minded and ready to answer questions. Overall, the experience was not as bad as I thought it would be and I SURVIVED!!! At least I can now say I'VE BEEN ON TELEVISION!

Dr. Vincent Udenze at NTA
When I returned home from my visit Dr. Vincent Udenze contacted me and told me to Google: Danielle Hewitt, Nigeria .... Well so I did! And i was all over google. VERY EXCITING




Boko Haram: Experts Call On FG To Open Trauma Help Lines

 | 0 Comments

In view of the security challenges in the country, a  United Kingdom- based Consultant Psychiatrist and President of Reconnect Health Development initiative( Reconnect HDI,) Dr Vincent Udenze, has called on the federal government to put in place, trauma lines that can provide psychological services to Nigerians.
He said that Nigerians presently are being traumatized as they live in deep fear, heightened anxiety, despair, helplessness, hopelessness, depression due to the horrors from the activities of insurgencies in the country.
According to a statement made available to LEADERSHIP yesterday in Abuja by the consultant psychiatrist, “ Nigeria cannot boast of one effective crisis helpline that can help  to offer victims with psychological interventions despite the various degree of tragedies bedevilling the country.”
He added that the federal government should as a matter of urgency make it a top priority, saying, “The crises in northern Nigeria following the Boko Haram insurgence are psychologically devastating.  Governors should be advocating for improved psychological support for the citizenry. You will never know the importance of these services until you set one up and collect data on people who have subscribed to it.”
He said, “Nigerians need to be able to pick the phone and call a toll free number to speak to counselors who speak local dialects. This service has to be a 24-hr service. Sometimes stress, trauma, depression can make you have negative thoughts to the point of being suicidal. Sometimes you need to speak to a professional to counsel you and then encourage you to seek further help.
“Nigerians do commit suicide due to depressed mood but we don’t have government data to capture the enormity of this problem.”
Udenze added that a mental health professional from Baltimore, USA with 13 years of experience in the mental health field, Danielle Hewitt,had come to Nigeria and visited Reconnect HDI and Synapse in Nigeria, but was discouraged and surprised to  have find very few facilities and charities available for individuals struggling with mental health problems and substance abuse issues.
According to him, she returned to the states to become the Country Representative for ReconnectHDI (on voluntary basis)and is now sending relevant documents to several persons and organisations in USA including Mrs Michelle Obama (First Lady) to seek for support.
Udenze  also  condoled with families who have lost loved ones due to insurgency, saying, “It is with a heavy heart that we reach out to our fellow country men and women. We extend our condolence to individuals, families and communities affected by the Chibok kidnappings and bomb blasts orchestrated by the Boko Haram insurgency in Nigeria.”

No comments:

Post a Comment